Saturday, November 1, 2008

Do we ever have to do it again?

Besides seeing my kids dressed up, the rest of it can go...

Our plan took a little detour, however we still managed to have a safe and happy time.

We had decided we were going to take the kids trick or treating to a few houses that I had dropped off safe candy at. The kids had such a great time with that, and did not want to quit.

I was armed with wipes, benadryl and an epi, so we attempted a few other houses. My husband also had a back up bucket to put non-safe candy in.

We instructed our little man not to touch anything that was handed to him. Remember, he is two, how do you think that worked?

After the first house, my husband held on to little man's free hand at the door, and would not let go. Little man was unable to grab the candy. If my husband saw an unsafe candy coming, he intercepted, and put it into the back up bucket.
As far as my daughters bucket, we did a trade, for yummy Vermont Nut Free Skippers, when we got home. By the way, I love those little skippers, and my daughter is so happy to have what she calls safe M&M's.

We did not stay out too long. The kids got tired quickly, and we returned to the house. The rest of the night was spent fighting over who was going to hand out our allergy friendly candy. Luckily they took turns and everyone was happy.

All and all, the night went well. I still felt a lot of anxiety about being around so many unsafe things with my little guy. My husband must of too. When we got back to the house, he said, "I guess from now on, we can go away for Halloween, so we do not have to deal with all of this."

That is a nice thought. I will leave you with a few photos, which was the only thing that made yesterday worthwhile.



Our Pink Minnie Mouse

I eat nut-free cookies


Oh the love

Too many smarties

End of the night silly girl


Brother couldn't resist being silly too

4 comments:

  1. My son has a peanut allergy too... very scarey I know. I carry the epipen with us. When he was two he remembered the exposure/ shot/ and bad medicine at the hospital after babysitter forgot and gave him a bite :( I would teach him "no peanuts" and "allergic"- they are smart. He learned by me checking labels of processed food that that was important- "mommy check it first" he would say and hand the bag to me. No Chick-Fil-A, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how daunting the early years of Trick or Treating can be once you've had this diagnosis. And it's very hard with a 2-year-old. They don't "get it" completely, yet so you have the constant worry they'll get something they can't have.

    The extra bag/bucket for unsafe is a great idea and we also do that.

    Don't give up on Halloween just yet--I nearly did when my daughter was 4 and I just wanted to opt out of the whole thing. But we've gone out every year and she seems to be dealing fine. Of course, the Vermont Nut-Free Chocolate is a nice consolation prize!

    I think the kids who don't get what everyone else can have take less for granted...they seem to mature faster and be more compassionate little people!

    BTW, Your kids looked adorable in their costumes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that everything went okay and you guys had a great Halloween experience. :o)

    P.S The header came from scrapblog.com It's fun and best part about it... It's FREE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could get a costume with gloves next year?! That sounds so rough. My son loves trick or treating but wont eat any of it in his own free will. He has gotten sick of off so many things that he aint the least bit interested in any of it. Hoping your little guy will be the same (minus the sick a lot) by the time he is Gavin's age (3 and a half).

    ReplyDelete