Sunday, January 18, 2009

Acceptance was the answer

I am back, and in a much better mood, for that matter. My last post was really not how I usually am. I just felt like it was a big blow, to have to eliminate, yet another set of foods.

Without going into much detail, of the last few days, I have recovered my usually optimistic outlook.

The reality is, nothing I can do, is going to change the situation. I have accepted what we can, and can't eat, and am now looking at how we accomplish daily living, without certain foods.

Interestingly enough, my little guy has not complained once, of a stomach ache, since eliminating everything with egg in it. His bowel movements are back to normal also. Acceptance, and action, really was our answer.

Now, I am looking for answers from all you egg allergic individuals. We have the whole nut-free living under control, now we move into uncovering the facts about egg-free life.

What do you use to replace mayonnaise in things? Have a good pancake recipe? What about a yummy birthday cake, since we are celebrating my daughters birthday soon. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 comments:

  1. Someone told me about a recipe for cakes where you take a mix and add a can of Sprite to it...that's it! I'll check with her and see if I can find out more details.

    Are you speaking of mayonnaise substitution for sandwiches or recipes? My sister hates mayo, so she substitutes sour cream in all recipes calling for it. As far as sandwiches go, she prefers mustard.

    I'm glad you are feeling better. Change is difficult, especially when it involves food and allergies. You will adjust, I have no doubt. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that the egg elimination did the trick and now your little guy is feeling better.
    My sister made a peanut and egg free cake for my nephew's first birthday. It was pretty good! Let me know if you want it and I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this online:
    "Coca Cola Cake
    Take chocolate cake mix and mix it with 1 can of diet coke (10-12 oz.). Bake as directed on the back of the cake mix box. It makes the moistest chocolate cake ever. All you use is the cake powder and the diet coke (no eggs,milk,etc...)! if making a vanilla cake you can use Diet sprite!"

    I'm sure you could use regular soda and not diet. This was on a site for weight loss.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    My little guy is allergic to eggs, milk and peanuts. We use applesauce - and it works great! Very moist and delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, it lost my first comment, but I have to say I think you are brave. I imagine that the day to day living with an allergy like this is tiresome at times. What we take for granted, you can't. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that he's feeling well!!! I have a cookbook that I love for my egg free cakes. It's called "Dairy-free, Egg-free, Kid Pleasing Recipes & Tips" by Theresa Kingma. Even though we are not dairy allergic, everything in there I've tried turns out great, and it's written by a mom just like you & I who needed recipes for her egg/dairy allergic child.

    I have some recipes on my blog that are egg free as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one cake recipe that came from the FAAN website on my blog. I've added the labels feature to my blog and it's under recipes. The other cake recipes I've used have come from the book I referenced, but I haven't posted them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elaine,

    Sorry to hear the egg-allergy news but now at least your little guy is feeling better and you know what to avoid.

    There are a lot of recipes out there that are egg-free. I also recommend the Food Allergy Mama blog--she also deals with multiple food allergies and her recipes are great. I know she's got some good cake recipes.

    Peanut and egg allergies seem to go hand in hand these days, so I know you're not alone. You've also got a lot of people rooting for you. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter has a peanut and egg allergy. We just found out about 4 months ago. For her birthday we made pumpkin cupcakes that were pretty yummy. I got the recipe from the Vegans Cupcakes Take Over the World book. (I think that was the name.) All of the recipes are egg free I believe.

    Cherrybrook Kitchens sells a good egg/nut/gluten free pancake mix. Otherwise I've just added applesauce when I make homemade pancakes.

    ReplyDelete