Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's going on, in the nut and egg free home, lately.

Thought I would share a little about, what is going on, around here lately. Our new found egg free life, mixed with our normally nut free living, is working well. My little guy has been feeling well. The transition has really not been that bad for us.

We are completely egg free, and it has seriously cleared all the problems, we had been having up. We did have one episode last night, we ate out, immediately after dinner, he had diarrhea. He had grilled cheese and french fries, which usually is safe for him. Not sure,however, he felt fine after that.

One other interesting thing did happen yesterday though. We were sitting in the lobby, of my daughters dance class, waiting for her to get done. In walks a Dad, eating a granola bar, sure enough, he sits down next to us. Immediately, I smell the peanut butter. Instant fear runs through me. I think I can smell it from a mile away now. Needless to say, I got up and stood near her door. I bet he thought I was rude. I wonder if he should have been eating it himself, with the recall and all.

On another note, this weekend is my daughters birthday. I will be making my first egg free cake. Oh, how I miss buying those beautiful, already decorated cakes. I will be practicing my frosting techniques today. Pray for me, she wants this lovely tiara cake. I sure hope I can pull it off.

10 comments:

  1. Eggs too! Man..if it works, keep doing what you are doing. I plan to eleminate some more stuff slowly to see if there is a difference. I am thinking about cutting out straight milk and seeing if there is a difference. Hang in there guys!
    ~Elyse~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, shucks, Elaine! I forgot to get you that recipe! Do you still need it? I can beg my sis to get it for you if you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the cake frosting! It's pretty fun to use the pastry bag once you get the hang of it. Just don't let the frosting get too warm is my advice. Stick it in the fridge if it gets too "loose" for a few minutes. I remember I made my nut-allergic daughter a "Groovy Girl" (do you know those dolls?) homemade cake with multi-colored frosting (pink, orange and purple) for her 6th birthday and it took all day! But it was so worth it. The kids loved it and it was beautiful, in the end. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good mommy! Happy birthday to the big girl!
    Isn't it true that we all become peanut police? Our sense of small for peanuts is super tuned, I had to stopped quite a few people on the flight we were on last time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe one day you can take a Wilton cake decorating class at Michaels. That would be fun and your cakes would be the talk of the town. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons ") You are an awesome Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tiarra cake! Oh my gosh! I can't wait to see it. If anyone can do it, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I came across your website yesterday. My 2 1/2 yr old son has an egg allergy and we just discovered my 7 yr old son has a life threatening tree nut & sesame allergy. I recently came across the book "Bakin' Without Eggs"...its wonderful - 150 egg free desserts!
    (Rosemarie Emro is the author)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter also has severe nut allergy. My son has been allergic to nuts, eggs, milk, legumes, squash, apples and wheat. He has slowly grown out of most but is still allergic to eggs. Have you come across Cherry Brook Kitchen, Peanut Free Planet or Divees? Those have been my go to places when it came to treats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for coming by and entering my contest. I've got friends who have children with serious diet challenges. I don't know how parents with these limitations do it, but I admire you grealy. I hope you post pictures of the tiara cake! I bet it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gaurdian Angel Foods makes cakes that are nut, egg and nut free

    New moon Kitchen make chocolate loafs that are nut egg and dairy free

    ReplyDelete